Mario J. Bailey has over 10 years experience in community relations, strategy development and implementation, coalition building, and civic engagement. Mario works closely with clients from various sectors including business, local government, and education (higher education and pre-k-12). His past efforts has resulted in over $115 million in state appropriations for clients and 7 new policy changes in Florida including the White-Miskell Act. Mario was appointed by Governor Rick Scott twice to the South Florida Regional Planning Council and subsequently elected executive secretary. The 19-member Council is charged with solving long-term challenges facing Southeast Florida. Mario was elected to Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists’ (FAPL) Board of Directors, and is certified Designated Professional Lobbyist (DPL).
He served as the Chief Legislative Aide to former Florida State Representative Dwight Bullard prior to joining Becker and Poliakoff. This experience taught him the intricacies of the legislative process, committee procedures, and helped him build strong ties to members of both parties and chambers. Mario began his political career as a field coordinator on a congressional campaign in South Florida for former US Congressman Joe Garcia.
He received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Alabama where he served as rules committee chairman of the Student Government Association’s Senate, Vice-President of the Residence Hall Association, the Southern Province Vice-Polemarch of Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity, Inc. and a member of the Student Leaders Council. Mario also served as an intern to former U.S. Congressman Artur Davis.
- Chosen as a 2017 Miami BMe Community Genius Leader
- Recognized as one of South Florida’s Most Powerful and Influential Black Leaders for 2017 by Legacy Magazine.
- Finalist for the Greater Miami Chamber’s HYPE Awards, honoring young professionals in their profession and the community
- Legacy Magazine 2014 South Florida 40 Under 40 Honoree
- Greater Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Miami Class XXXII
- Congressional Black Caucus Annual Legislators Conference Emerging Leader
- University of Alabama, Autherine Lucy Foster Award
- Student Government Association, Robert S. Vance Award
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists (FAPL) – Board of Directors
- South Florida Regional Planning Council – Secretary
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce – Government Affairs Group, Past Vice Chair
- Leadership Miami – Executive Committee
- 100 Black Men of South Florida – Former Health and Wellness Chair
- Miami Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. – Keeper of Records